Just Kids Speech Pathology
- Assessment of children’s speech and language development
- Second Opinion / Diagnostic Assessments for children with suspected Childhood Apraxia of Speech
- Individual therapy sessions
- Individually tailored therapy goals and materials for home practice
- Parent information and advice
- School consultation
- Professional development workshops for Schools and Day-Care Centres
- Language Development Centre assessments and referrals
- Provision of information and referral to other support services and networks (E.g. Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Clinical Psychology, specialised Kindergarten programmes, Parent Support Groups etc)
Assessment of young children involves gathering information through a combination of play, observation and parental report. Depending on the age of the child, formal assessment tools or tests may also be used. I aim to make assessment as much fun as possible, with built in rewards and lots of encouragement as we look at those areas which your child finds challenging.
If the assessment reveals that your child has a speech or language problem, then you will be offered individual therapy appointments. Many children benefit from coming on a weekly basis, but I understand that this is not always possible. I believe in a family-centred approach, involving parents in setting our goals and expectations for therapy. It is very important to support parents in balancing the therapy needs of their child with their other family and financial commitments.
All therapy sessions are play-based, with lots of toys and games used for motivation and learning. Just Kids Speech Pathology has a wide range of new, high quality resources to support your child’s speech and language development.
During therapy appointments, I will demonstrate ways to develop and improve your child’s speech and / or language skills. You will then be provided with homework activities or goals to focus on at home.